- What To Do When Your Boss Humiliates You? Use This Resource - May 30, 2020
- The Best Sites for Finding Remote Work - May 16, 2020
- Still Using AdSense? Make A Leap w/ Ezoic! [Review] - April 29, 2020
At school and at work, it is a common fact to have to give a speech to your class, your classmates, or other potential audiences. Public discourse can be a daunting perspective, as it is solely responsible for maintaining a group of people, both informed and entertained. Speeches often become boring, especially if the subject is dry, but it is possible to make an interesting and attractive speech.
Steps to follow:
1. Before you start writing, think about the target audience to whom you are going to give your speech. The type of audience you are talking to will influence the tone you will use and your delivery. What is interesting for a group of people is not for others.
2. Capture the attention of your audience with an effective opening line or “hook”. Try to start with a shocking statistic or a series of rhetorical questions to point to the audience.
3. Enter some unexpected elements in your speech to make it more interesting. Instead of just standing and talking, take someone on stage to interact with you, get two members of your audience with role-playing games, or have small prizes on hand.
4. Make interesting statistics. If you have to use the statistics, help your audience relate to them, giving them something to visualize.
5. Use a tone that is appropriate for your audience. Your speech will not be interesting if your tone is dry or you use language that is above the audience’s understanding. However, you should also make sure you do not dumb down your speech to the point where it is condescending.
- Make eye contact with members of your audience, whenever possible, as it will make them feel as if you are facing them personally and try to keep them interested.
- Do not make your sentence structure too complicated, or your speech will be difficult to understand.